Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Worship Leader- Leading a life of worship

Let's be honest here, how many of us has been in an awesome Praise and Worship session and said to yourself 'One Day I would like to be a Worship Leader' and the reasons can vary, from having the heart to lead people in worship to God, or just want to look good on stage singing on stage mesmerizing the crowd with your voice (kidding), but you know what I mean.

Late 2005 was the year I was born-again, and I was at the Planetshakers Conference getting pumped by good music and worshipping God with all my heart, mind and soul. It was then I saw a vision of me leading the youths back home in worship and getting them in the presence of God. I didn't understand at first but then I just had a thought maybe God has called me to be a worship leader. Most of my mates had a calling for their life and I was wondering what was it, I didn't know. Fast forward to 2006 in Aus. I was praying for 4 months 'God, what is my calling? Is it to be a worship leader? I know I desire it in my heart but I want it to be your will.. what's your will?' and one day I just cried out in desperation and I just heard God say 'I want you to be a worship leader' and suddenly I just burst out in tears. That SAME Sunday, I went to Church (2nd time in Church) and the pastor's wife was praying for me and she said 'God has called you to be a worship leader, you're like Joshua who loves to linger in the tent in the presence of God when everyone is out.... etcetc' I'm like wow! Confirmation on the same week!! Quickly I called my close friend and he said 'huh? I thought that was your calling already..' For some reason couple of people already had the impression that I would be a Worship Leader because they see the passion and the way I worship God (thats what they said, I have no idea why are they looking around during worship)

The big dilemma here is that I can worship God and I Love it! I love to sing but I can't sing well, people would ask me to shut up so it wouldn't rain, or the roof will fall. One worse case was the Senior Pastor of a church I attended asked me not to sing but to mime the words when I was serving as a backup singer (ouch!). That really left a scar for awhile but thank God that part is all healed now, but still I would have the fear of leading and singing even now.

Anyhow my point is that my eyes has opened and I think I know what God meant when he called me to be a worship leader. I always thought that my calling to be a 'Worship Leader' has to be a title. It might be, but for now it's something else. Frankly I believe it's not about the title in my case because I know how sad would it be if that was my only dream? I know God has infused bigger dreams than that for my life.

You see leading worship is not all about getting up on stage and leading people in the presence of God. Worship.... is a lifestyle. The Apostle Paul said that we must "offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing, this is your spiritual act of worship." (Romans 12:1). It's not just singing, jumping, kneeling but its all about the Heart of Worship. God see's the inside of our heart if we are going through the motions or really worshipping Him in awe and reverence. In short it's 'God...Take all of me for All of You' You surrender your all to him, you live a life that is pleasing to God. That is worship, because as we do things that right, you're bringing glory to God and that itself is an act of worship. How do we react to situations? Disappointment, discouragement hits us, do we blame God? do we try to do things our own way? or do we ,in the midst of storms look to God and make the decision to worship Him and despite what we're feeling because we know God is Good and He makes all things work together for our good? God has been challening me in my walk with God to live a life that pleases Him. To live a life that has a heart that hides God's word and beats the heartbeat of God, a heart that serves one master, a heart that brings a smile to my Father's face, that is a sweet aroma of worship to Him. I'm convicted to live my life in God's way that can be an example to others so they can be a true worshipper as well. Do you know even in your house, you spending time with God in your room worshipping Him or even in Church giving your best to God in worship or serving Him is a worship to God? You never know who you can impact by doing those. I have some comments from people saying my passion for worshipping God has lead them to want to worship God even more, Praise God for that! That itself is being a lead worshipper where you make an impact in other people's lives to dwell deeper in God!

So let us start living our lives getting soaked in the Presence of God, going out there with His presence, shining His glory, bringing heaven to earth, leading our life by example that can make a difference in our city and nation! Ultimately the name of Jesus has to be magnified and glorified and us living a life that brings glory to God.

What about those singing on the stage stuff? Honestly I don't know, let God do the promotion, I'm already playing the guitar so let the music I play be anointed and will lead people to worship, but to be on upfront on the stage leading people...? That's in God's timing and if it does happen or not happen... no matter what I'm still going to be a lead worshipper in my lifestyle, its not about the title.

4 comments:

Lawrence said...

Nice post concerning worship leading.. And I think u can be a great pastor.. R u thinking about being one honestly? :)

P.S: What happen to ur chat box?

Jason Lee said...

being a pastor?? haha
I dont know, some say I have giftings in pastoral leadership I dont want to think about it yet, its scary :p

wat happened to my chat box pls tell me cos I dont think ppl can use it right

tina hancox said...

jason, praise God u r an inspiration to me i also have a burning desire to lead people deeply into the presence of God thru worship, i dont play a instrument but i sing and i feel and now know that God has called me to do just that and i just humbly thank God and give Him all the glory and honour for choosing me.
may you continue to bless God and others as you have me, Love in Jesus, tina x

Jason Lee said...

Hi Tina
Praise God! Keep the zeal and passion burning. May God use you to bring out new songs from heaven that can impact the lives of people thru worship :)

bless ya
Jason